We are looking for a versatile Software Engineer to be part of the TunnelBear team. You should have a focus on Android development and an eye for extraordinary mobile UX.
You take joy in finding simple solutions to complex problems and share our real passion for mauling internet access-restriction, digital privacy, and random digital bear humour.
You will own mobile development for an Android app at TunnelBear. You will be working with an exceptional team to build a great new interface for our mobile app, implement new features, and make sure the app is pixel-perfect on as many devices as possible.
We are a small company, so naturally the kind of people who tend to succeed in our team are generalists. You should be comfortable in dabbling with all forms of development, such as an occasional tweaking of our backend API.
- Your primary responsibility will be to write and deploy clear, concise, and well-tested native Android code
- Work with the rest of the team to extend our APIs to support your ideas
- Collaborate with the design team to create an app that pushes the limits of mobile UI and UX
- Contribute to design and code reviews; identify best practices for mobile development
- Slip the occasional bear-themed pun into your release notes (mandatory)
Skills We Require
- A passion for Android and a commitment to building award-winning apps for the platform.
- Thorough understanding of the nooks and crannies of the Android SDK.
- Ability to write clear, concise, and well-tested code in Java and occasionally other languages.
- A good taste for design, an intuitive understanding of "what works" in an Android app, and experience implementing Material Design.
- Have a published app, or some open-source code we can take a look at.
- Have some experience in server-side API development and a general knowledge of the NDK.
- Have an interest in network security and computer/device privacy.
- Experience with HTTP networking and OpenVPN/other VPN technologies is a bonus.
We think the Internet is a much better place when everyone can browse privately, and browse the same Internet as everyone else.
TunnelBear wants to bring privacy to everyone with our incredibly simple applications for PC, Mac, iOS and Android.
Our highly accoladed applications have appeared on Lifehacker, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, PC World, TNW, Huffington Post and WSJ.com for making it easy for average users to avoid access restrictions and browse the internet privately. Founded in 2011 and headquartered in Toronto, Canada, TunnelBear is available everywhere.
- Casual, fun and creative atmosphere
- An opportunity to add your mark to an inclusive company culture as it develops
- Flexible working hours
- Fully stocked snack cupboards and delicious coffee
- Relax with a movie night or get energized with a ping-pong match
- Choice of computer, tools and accessories
- Full benefits plan
- Bike-friendly office
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity hiring process and work environment. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, colour, nationality, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or ability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.Apply now