Senior Mobile Engineer, Android
As a Senior Mobile Engineer for Android, you will work as part of a strong cross-functional Agile team on The Telegraph phone and tablet apps, bringing them to the next level of innovation and usability and creating an engaging and satisfying experience for the end-user. You’ll deliver across the entire mobile apps lifecycle, from concept, design, build, deploy and test, right through to release to app stores and support.
Key Role Requirements:
- Develop and extend the reach of our highly-rated applications, working with Tech Leads to agree the best way of implementing requirements defined by the business. This will include collaborating with product owners and design colleagues to deliver inspirational apps, and continue to optimise their performance post-release, providing effective support in identifying pitfalls and the root cause/solution of any issue that may arise post-release.
- Develop and produce functional solutions in accordance with architecture design standards, code quality standards and environment configuration management. Build prototypes at tech scoping stage of projects and create and maintain a robust technical framework to support the apps
- Involved in designing and implementing reusable components to connect to our set of APIs; you’ll work closely with the Tech Leads in defining the best architectural approach to implement the set of components so that they will be ready to be reused across our range of apps and in any future new app.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience in developing engaging Native Android applications across different devices and stores (please provide the list of the apps available on the Google Play and Amazon stores)
- Deep knowledge of the Android platform and SDK, Android Studio and additional tools e.g. Gradle, Genymotion, Espresso and memory management tools
- Proficient in developing Android applications in Java with an understanding of Kotlin
- A good understanding of Android design guidelines/best practices and the ability to engage with the creative team to deliver pragmatic solutions, balancing design, quality and velocity
- Proven experience with outside data sources and API’s (JSON, Rest AND XML)
- OO design skills and ability to produce clean, maintainable, decoupled and testable code
- Very good understanding of the Agile principles and proven experience into translating those in the daily task developing mobile apps. Great knowledge of the Atlassian suite of tools
- Ability to write Unit Tests, structuring the code in the best possible way for that scope
- Experience with mobile development issues related to performance optimisation, caching, security and native components / SDK's
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends and emerging technologies
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organisation and external 3rd parties/suppliers
- An ability to Mentor or Coach when required more junior members of the team in mobile development best practices