Principle Mobile Engineer
As a Principle Mobile Engineer you will work as part of a strong cross functional Agile team on The Telegraph phone and tablet apps as we start on our exciting new challenge, bringing our latest app to market, making it the market leader in the newspaper industry.
- Work in an agile, cross functional team, taking responsibility for the engineering team deliverables and quality.
- Work with the Solution Architects, development team and wider stakeholders, to ensure the team delivers to required quality and adheres to the defined best practices.
- Be proactive, hands on, involved in all tasks and take on sprint backlog items.
- Seek out and actively promote ideas and techniques in the community – both within The Telegraph and externally in the broader developers community
- Understand the impact of any changes to the bigger The Telegraph ecosystem
- Take responsibility for the delivery of tasks from initial design to delivery into production and support
- Understand the impact changes will have on load and performance
- Support the QA Engineers in your team defining and writing test scenarios and related cases, identifying tools and best practices to ensure the quality of our products is always at a very high level.
- Coach and mentor where required more junior members of the team in mobile development best practices.
- A familiarity with MVP as an architecture pattern.
- You have been heard saying “it’s good enough” and “let’s ship it”, but also “what is our goal?” and “this should be nowhere near production”.
- You hold and express considered opinions, and modify them when faced with contrary evidence. Above all, you let the facts do the talking whenever possible.
- You have a deep understanding of what motivates, inspires and stifles software teams and have an ability to mentor junior team members.
- Proven experience in developing engaging Native Android applications across different devices and stores (please provide the list of the apps available on Google Play and Amazon stores).
- Deep knowledge of the Android platform and SDK, Android Studio and additional tools e.g. Gradle, Genymotion, Espresso and memory management tools.
- Proficient in developing Android applications in Java.
- A good understanding of Android design guidelines/best practices and the ability to engage with the creative team to deliver pragmatic solutions, balancing design, quality and velocity.
- Proven experience with outside data sources and API’s (JSON, Rest AND XML).
- Confident working with git and github for code version control.
- Very good understanding of the agile principles.
- Ability to write Unit Tests, structuring the code in the best possible way for that scope
- Solid understanding and practical knowledge of the full mobile development and application lifecycle
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends and emerging technologies
- Experience with mobile development issues related to performance optimisation, caching, security and native components / SDK's