Android Engineer - Taking point on building a brand new App!
The Photobox mobile apps team have recently completed their first steps in creating a brand new experience for our customers. We are now embarking on our next adventure: shaking up photo apps on Android! This is a greenfield project with the amazing opportunity to take point on build a a brand new App and be the go to SME for Android.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be our resident authority on Android, with a love for the platform and the ability to lead the way in shaping a new app for our customers.
- Be that Android guru, but also excited to learn and utilise whatever technologies are needed to solve our customers’ problems.
- Build and regularly ship an Android app to customers in a mission-driven environment where teams are free to make their own decisions.
- Work within a close-knit, cross-functional team, and be keen to get involved with UI / UX Design, mobile development, backend development, product management, marketing or customer support.
- Be ready to eat great street food and share super interesting facts about the world when it’s your turn at our daily stand-ups.
You will be working in a relaxed, social environment with a team who are excited to embrace challenges, conventional or otherwise. The team love learning new things and sharing what they are doing, so if this describes you and you’re ready to try your hand at something different, get in touch!
What will I be doing?
- Using Kotlin to build our Android app, ensuring that all code is tested to the appropriate standards to allow us to ship regularly.
- Steering the direction of the Android app, adopting and advocating best practices in an Android project, both in terms of architecture and user experience.
- Owning your tasks from refinement to delivery.
- Coaching other team members into confident Android engineers.
- Working with the team on shared technical and non-technical problems.
- For example you might identify that it’s better to create a backend solution to solve a problem the team is facing. You will be helping to build and test that solution.
- Solid Android knowledge
- Technical implementation
- Android native user experience
- Kotlin / Java
- Comfortable using Git and Github
- Experience retrieving and sending data to remote systems
- Solid knowledge of the Play Store including beta builds and app distribution
- Android Architecture Components
- Automating the build and release process
- Scrum / Kanban experience
- Working with large numbers of images on a phone
- iOS development
- AWS serverless
- Node.js development