Senior Frontend Developer in Gaming
The Software Engineer UI role will be a key one for the SG Digital product development team. Reporting to a Senior Software Engineer, the Software Engineer UI will be working alongside other Software Engineers, Project Managers, QA and Software Architects in order to shape and implement the technology and product deliverables that will drive forward SGD’s Sportsbook and Casino products.
SGD’s product development teams are more aggressively adopting newer technologies, architectural principles and approaches to development, deployment and monitoring. Software Engineers UI will be critical to ensure to ensure the highest coding standards and quality of deliverables to the QA and Delivery teams and for adoption by operators. A Software Engineer UI will be expected to both lead and mentor less experienced developers, actively contributing to their day-to-day activities and training needs.
There will be a mixture of small, but strategically significant projects, and also large scale complex programmes of work, all delivered in an Agile format with direction from Product Management, but with delivery via a tightly contained team focused on quality deliverables across the platform.
- Production and execution of unit tests as and where required
- Ensuring code quality is maintained for products and services that you work on
- Ensuring that UI features and functionality adhere to agreed corporate and product UX standards and design guidelines
- Ensuring that all products and services have agreed levels of test coverage, adhering to agreed architectural and technology (including security) standards
- Active participant in reviews for products and services delivered by you and the teams you work with
- Contributing to release documentation for handover to Delivery teams
- Maintenance of relevant technical sections of the internal Knowledge Base
- Active contribution to overall UI strategy for products and deliverables, including input into decisions about UI test frameworks
- Provision of structured feedback to “back-end” platform developers, to ensure APIs and SDKs are fit for purpose
- Proactively identify and address areas of material improvement, notably around UI performance and code complexity
- Learn to act as an authority on UI best practices, both in terms of technology and design, but also UX and SEO requirements
- Ability to input into high level estimates of software deliverables for planning purposes
- Supporting the Development Manager, Senior Software Engineer and Delivery teams to ensure continuous quality improvement in the development teams
- Ensure that you have a clear understanding of the overall front-end architecture and design components, in the context of meeting product requirements
- Knowledge of Agile development processes and scrum roles and responsibilities
Knowledge & Experience
- A Bachelor's degree (1st or 2:1) in a traditional science subject, ideally computer science, engineering or information systems from a well regarded university
- At least 3 years of experience developing commercial web applications
- Ability to document technical solutions in a variety of formats and to constructively share knowledge with other team members
- Ability to learn and critique new technologies quickly
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to peer groups
- Demonstrably being able to deal with change on a daily basis; must be comfortable both with external factors driving this change as well as internal
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Experience in contributing to and influencing technical and delivery planning
Technical skills of relevance:
- At minimum of 2 years of hands-on experience developing commercial web applications, using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Drupal, Django, GWT etc.)
- A least 1 years’ of developing UIs (consumer-facing or back-office)
- A strong understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Good understanding of general UX principles for web applications, including responsive and adaptive design principles
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image
- A good understanding of SEO principles
- General understanding of the use of Docker, Ansible, Maven, Jenkins, Sonar and Git (BitBucket)
- Some knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate etc.)
- Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop
- Some experience with Node.js
- Some experience with TDD and / or BDD
- Some Knowledge in Python (maybe PHP) and PostgreSQL or MySQL would be beneficial
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on major eCommerce or any significant widely distributed system is.
Why would you enjoy this opportunity with SGDigital?:
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow
- Tangible and genuine development - at SGD, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy amazing benefits whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.Apply now