This job offer is expired
Blackbox is looking for a strong front-end developer to join our UK dev team, to help build the next generation of information control systems for the rail industry.
You’ll initially be working alongside our front-end and back-end teams, planning and implementing features within our main UI application
We don’t have a large team, and we aren’t looking for someone to be anonymous. Passion and opinions count and will be welcomed. In return you’ll be a whole lot closer to the decision making, and in the sort of environment where people and careers grow quickly.
Salary £40,000 - £50,000
Things you'll need
- Extensive experience working with MVVM frameworks such as Aurelia or Angular
- Experience working within Single Page Applications
- A real passion for good quality, well-structured, clean code
- Proficiency in building and maintaining reusable web components
- Working knowledge of various asynchronous data retrieval and operating methodologies (WebSockets, XMLHttpRequests, Promises, etc.)
Things we'd like you to have
- Experience with Typescript
- Working knowledge of task runners such as Gulp or Grunt
- Familiarity with transpilation and bundling processes
- Experience with Azure
- Experience with Jira or DevOps
We’re all about trying to improve the experience for people who travel by train, by improving how information about their journey is made available to them (online, on platform, on train, on social media). More like the experience you get when flying.
It’s a broad mix that covers control room applications, data acquisition and management, integration to rail industry systems, externally-facing APIs, digital signage and audio, mobile apps, and more.We live in Azure, our front-ends run on Aurelia, code in TypeScript, plan using DevOps Boards, and deploy using DevOps Pipelines. Our back-ends run on Service Fabric (though now migrating to AKS), and are developed in C#.
We are a fairly young, privately-owned company. But we’re making a big noise in the industry. That’s because we hire smart people, and we expect them to take our vision and run with it.
What it's like working here
All our non-dev people are in the UK along with most of our dev team, though we do have a small dev team in Canada. Our UK office is near Bracknell, but we’re pretty comfortable with home-working. We get together when we need to. The rest of the time we live and breathe Slack.
Don’t expect to be spoon-fed. We’re involved in some sizable, exciting projects and we need people who are comfortable taking ownership of whatever they are doing. Good people earn respect very quickly here. It’s fast-paced, and we wouldn’t have it any other way!