PHP Software Engineer who loves DevOps
This job offer is expired
Our Engineering department is split into three teams, currently focusing on order fulfilment improvements (de-coupled via messaging and workers), rebuilding our core checkout as a standalone alone service (100% new code with lots of opportunities to make the best technology choices), and finally on tools to make our internal teams more efficient (more greenfield work). Teams are fairly static to give every member the chance to become a high performer.
What you'll do:
- Work on high traffic APIs used by hundreds of active vendors
- Work on high traffic public-facing web application used by hundreds of thousands of customers a month
- Work on high-performance background workers for consuming queues
- Work collaboratively to design API specifications
- Practise DevOps, you’re responsible for getting your code to production and supporting it
- Use the latest cloud services available to run your code
- Write performant and well-tested code
- Build and iterate on our core products using data-driven decisions
- Help design a stable platform to support phenomenal growth
- Participate in the recruitment process: CV reviews, interviews, reviewing technical ability and cultural fit
- Be a resource for less senior Engineers to provide mentoring and coaching
- Play a part in an agile team - participate in stand-ups, sprint planning & retrospectives
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have competent commercial experience developing applications or other software platforms
- You have a strong understanding of the development process from design through to deployment and maintenance and what that means for day-to-day development
- Your technical skillset includes:
- Modern OOP PHP framework
- Building RESTful APis/working with PHP microservices
- Unit and behavioral testing
- Version control systems (preferably Git)
- Exposure to another language, e.g. Ruby, Java, Obj-C, C#
- Previous exposure to JIRA
- Exposure to cloud providers (preferably AWS)
Things you'll learn on the job:
- Laravel 4 and Lumen (Laravel 5-based)
- AWS suite - SQS, EC2, ECS+ECR, CloudFormation, S3, RDS, Cloudwatch
- Basic UNIX system skills
- Docker containers and micro-service architecture
- Queueing for removing slower tasks from a web request
Why you’ll love working at Paddle
We are a diverse team of 100 people (quickly on our way to 180+) based near London Bridge. We care deeply about enabling a great culture which is inclusive no matter your background. We celebrate our diverse group of talented employees and we pride ourselves on our transparent, collaborative, friendly and respectful culture.
We offer a full slate of (constantly evolving) benefits, including competitive salaries, stock options, pension plans, flexible working, generous holidays and parental leaves. Plus we offer some not-so-standard, extra-fun benefits, which can include anything from joining office football team, taking up the in-office yoga lessons or enjoying a board game night. We host regular company get-togethers and quarterly socials. We have weekly catered lunches and of course, fully stocked fridges and cold brew on tap. We value learning and will help you with your personal development where we can — from constant exposure to new challenges to regular internal and external training.
Our mission is to help software companies succeed — enabling them to focus on creating products the world loves. Hundreds of companies rely on our e-commerce platform to sell their software products globally, as well as our powerful analytics and marketing tools to understand and grow their businesses.
Our vision is to become the platform that all software companies use to run and grow their business. We aim to replace a fragmented ecosystem of specialised tools with a unified platform that removes the complex burden that comes with running a software business, whilst also providing unparalleled insight to help them grow faster.
We’re early in our journey but making great progress: Deloitte Fast 50 named us the fastest growing software company in the UK (we’ve tripled revenue every year since our launch in 2012), and we’ve raised over $17m in funding from incredible investors such as Notion, BGF and Kindred.
We believe in having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age. Our office is wheelchair friendly and we are a family-friendly employer.
Come join us, and find out what the best work of your career could look like for you!