Senior Back-End Engineer (Ruby/Rails)
This job offer is expired
Based in sunny Los Angeles Ritual is a new kind of health brand led by the belief that you should know exactly what’s in your vitamin and how it works. We use only the best nutrient forms and publish our sources and research for all to see -- because transparency is kind of our thing. Our mission is simple: to inspire women to feel their best, every day, through healthy, daily habits.
Our team of curious skeptics is made up of world class scientists, artists, e-comm whizzes, and straight up hustlers. We’re small, well-funded, and on a mission to reinvent an entire industry.
You will be the one who designs and implements systems that connect all the pieces of the business. This includes short and mid-term projects that will immediately move key company metrics as well as laying the technical foundation for long-term success.
This is an exciting opportunity and critical role for a very fast-growing brand. We believe that great digital experiences are an important part of any company’s success, and we think you'll agree. As a subscription service, we help our customers better invest in the products they’ve subscribed to, by reinforcing the habits that help them in their long-term mission. You’ll be a part of a strong digital product team of designers, product managers, and data analysts to continuously add to and improve our customers’ experiences online at scale.
What you’ll do
- Help lead the architecture and execution of everything back-end.
- Establish engineering processes, define company engineering standards, identify and implement core technologies, and remove technical hurdles.
- Work directly with our other Engineers, Designers, Product, and Marketing teams to implement core features across our customers’ experiences.
- Build solutions for appropriate scalability. You're ok building something "hacky" if it fits the need, but can also call out real issues and create simple, scalable solutions for them.
What you’ll use
- Our homepage (marketing pages) use React, Gatsby, GraphQL, and Contentful headless CMS.
- Our checkout + account experiences use Ember, JSONAPI, and work directly with our Rails API.
- Our back-end is a Rails API that handles everything from account creation, payments, all the way through to fulfillment.
- See more here: https://stackshare.io/ritual-com/ritual
Who you are
- An application pioneer. You get jazzed about building experiences for people on the web, helping them get to the things they need, while delighting them wherever they may be. You've worked on creating back-end micro-services, API design/versioning, webhooks, load balancers, caching solutions, serverless tech, database stuff, Rails apps, and more. All over the board, huh? If you can handle anything that's thrown at you – we want you.
- Humble Craftsman. You take pride in your work, and look for opportunities to iterate and make it better. You prioritize a simple solution over a complex one, leaning on the tools available to make your job easier, while ensuring solid test coverage backs up the decisions you’ve made.
- Data driven. You believe that great data enables you and others to make better decisions.
- Collaborator. You can dive deep and have complex technical conversations with your engineering team, nerd out over design decisions, and then turn around and explain those same conversations to non-technical teams.
- Up for a challenge. You believe that just because something is difficult that it is not a reason for not doing it. In fact, that might be validation that it is worth doing, right?
What You Need
- Education: BS in Computer Science or other engineering/technical field. Equivalent experience also accepted.
- Experience: 3-5 years of developing clean, scalable and efficient web apps in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive experience with Ruby and the Rails framework.
- A demonstrated ability to identify and solve real-world user problems.
- An understanding of troubleshooting issues that may arise, and planning for scale.
- Interest in learning additional skills/technologies as we continue to scale our platform and suite of tools.