← Back to all jobs
Sr. Software Engineer -- Full Stack
This job offer is expired
Interviewing for a new company is a serious time commitment for all parties involved. Please take the time to read this and thoughtfully consider if we would be a good fit for one another. This is a full-time position. You must be located in the continental U.S. No contractors or agencies. Seriously.
Why We Started Very
Not to oversimplify things, but our mission is to become the best IoT, blockchain, and machine learning product development shop in the world. We do this by hiring the best and investing heavily in them, both personally and professionally.
We Fully Embrace Working Remotely
About 30% of our team works out of our HQ in Chattanooga, TN, and the other 70% work remotely from various locations across the United States. We consider ourselves best-practitioners of the remote-first movement and believe a great team shouldn’t be restricted by geography.
What You’ll Be Working On
Very is first and foremost a software consultancy, we tackle hard problems for clients who need a targeted, senior team to come in and provide specific solutions. We are focusing heavily on building out products that have applications in one of the three following areas: 1) data science & machine learning, 2) Internet of Things, and 3) blockchain. We’ve found that in each of these areas, the use of the underlying technology will drive the development of the core services , but that 75% of the work often still lives in the realm of modern web development.
At Very, there is a never ending supply of variety to the types of projects we work on. In the last year we’ve built solutions that touch e-commerce, trust management (finance), beer distribution, point of sale systems, ICO’s, identifying fake news, and much more.
You’ll spend 80% of your week (Monday through Thursday) designing and building a product or platform for one of our clients. The other 20% of your week (Friday) will be spent contributing to our open source projects, internal products, learning, teaching, and participating in internal operations of all flavors.
Project teams are small and usually made up of one or two pairs of engineers, a UX engineer, a product manager, and the client who serves as the product owner. We spend most of our time building new products, with the goal of helping our clients take it to market. We are often further engaged by our clients to continue iterating on the product once it is live. The high cost of context switching is real, so we do our best to keep teams together throughout the duration of their projects (typically 3-6 months), but have found it valuable to rotate pairing partners when it makes reasonable sense.
We are always exploring new tools, languages, and technologies. We feel strongly that it’s a good idea to use the best tool for the job and not see everything as a nail. We also try our best to standardize our technology and tooling across project teams so it’s easier to rotate and practice collective code ownership. We are currently building products and platforms using the following tools / platforms:
- React & React Native
- Swift & Objective C
- Elixir, Phoenix, and Nerves
- Arduino (embedded C/C++)
- Ethereum / Solidity
- Ruby on Rails
- AWS (and a dash of Heroku where it makes sense)
Given that we work on quite a bit of greenfield projects, there is often room to experiment with new patterns and tools (within reason). We don’t expect applicants to know our entire toolchain, but rather to be capable, flexible, and self-directed.
This Role: Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer
As a full-stack engineer at Very, you will work on a wide variety of projects and stacks. This job is a great fit for pragmatic polyglot programmers with a functional bend. Over the last few years, we’ve shipped countless Ruby on Rails projects and are at the tail end of moving to Elixir for the bulk of our services. Additionally, we have a strong Python contingent who are utilizing the serverless framework for the development of highly targeted microservices / systems as well as for data science and machine learning projects.
We value well-tested, reusable code and expect our engineers to be as good of practitioners as they are leaders and teachers.
How We Operate
We are believers in transparency and openness. In terms of organizational structure and governance, we are a holacracy. It’s worked pretty well for the us the last few years. When it comes to development processes, we do our best to adhere as closely to Extreme Programming as possible. We believe in hiring capable, responsible professionals. We don’t micromanage and trust everyone to work hard, experiment, learn from their mistakes, and contribute to each other and the company in a sustainable manner. We have no venture funding or external investors, which affords us the ability to be nimble and run our company in the best interest of our team as a whole.
How You’ll Be Compensated
We believe in a transparent, fair compensation structure and have developed our own open salary formula. Depending on your skill and experience, you can expect to make somewhere between $80,000 and $135,000 upon joining the company. We have many health plans available through UHC—prices and plans vary based on your region—as well as vision and dental. We currently contribute a large portion to each plan, again, amounts vary based on region. As an added benefit, Very provides 1X Earnings Basic Life & AD&D. We have a 401k program that we’ll provide a 2% match on after a few months working with us. Lastly, 35% of the company’s ownership is reserved for a team member options pool.
More remote rails jobs
Backend Rails Engineer Retail Zipline
Full Stack Rails Engineer Angie Hospitality, Inc.
Lead Ruby Developer (Rails and Non-Rails) Action Verb