Backend Engineer (Ruby) | Junior & Senior Roles | Changing the Future of Finance
This job offer is expired
Want to work with smart people on interesting problems?
We're a little biased but we think we're one of the most exciting startups in Europe right now. We're growing at an incredible pace, have product market fit, and are backed by the founders of Skype, Lovefilm, Wonga, Zoopla, Climate Corp, Albion, MoonFruit & MMC Ventures.
Cleo was founded by engineers, we care deeply about our engineering culture and making this a great place to work.
What you'll be working on?
We're a small team which means you’ll have to be diverse in your work patterns at the beginning. It also, means there are many interesting challenges ahead, and there will be opportunity to specialise and forge on with your own projects. Broadly, you'll be engaged in the following:
- Machine learning, from categorising transactions to understanding natural language and spending patterns, we extensively use ML.
- Payments, write code that moves money. From paying friends to saving automatically, write code that moves money safely.
- Product, 90% of your time will be building new feature and improving existing ones. We love getting features into users hands early, learning and iterating. We're exceptionally data driven.
You should apply if:
- You're excited by what we're building at Cleo!
- You've worked at or are keen to experience working at a fast moving startup.
- You’re product-focused and care about making our users’ lives better.
- You have experience writing beautiful, elegant and simple Ruby code.
- You can move fast and get stuff done.
Don't worry we're not going to make you invert a binary search tree on a whiteboard. We have a simple, fast three step process:
- A quick 20 minute phone call with the founder to get to know you & answer any questions you may have.
- Come in to meet the team & chat about your previous experience. (No whiteboard coding or brainteasers!)
- An interesting time-boxed take home quiz that you'll receive feedback on.
Our Tech Stack
We're big proponents of doing the simple thing first, the 80/20 rule and writing simple, elegant, self documenting code. Here's our current stack:
We're looking for exceptional people at Cleo and offer the following perks to keep the team happy & productive:
- 25 days’ holiday a year. We want you fresh and fully charged.
- Cleo socials every couple of weeks including go-karting, escape rooms, cinema screenings, etc.
- Choose your own gear, ask for the tools you need and we’ll do our best to get them for you.
- An incredible office that's a stones throw away from Old Street tube station.
- An ever-growing Cleo library, tons of books about startups, programming, design and finance.