← Back to all jobs
Ruby on Rails Engineer - be a part of an amazing remote team!
This job offer is expired
TaxJar’s remote-only team of nearly 30 people is growing fast. We have an immediate opening for a Ruby on Rails Engineer who wants to make a difference on a growing, experienced team of entrepreneurs.
TaxJar is the leading technology solution for busy eCommerce sellers to manage sales tax and is trusted by more than 10,000 businesses. We were founded to help eCommerce owners spend less time on sales tax and more time growing the businesses they love. We’re passionate about creating simple solutions and leveraging technology to solve complicated sales tax issues. We're not just about sales tax though, we're a technology-driven company focused on providing a great experience for both merchants and developers.
We offer TaxJar Reports , a simple web-based reporting tool that organizes sales tax data into return-ready reports by state; AutoFile, a service that automatically files sales tax returns; and SmartCalcs API, a modern, accurate, sales tax API for developers to outsource sales tax rates and calculations. For developers, we have created a helpful API demo environment and also are fanatics about creating and maintaining great API documentation.
As a Rails Engineer at TaxJar you will:
- Write strong Ruby on Rails code daily
- Be challenged to solve new problems
- Review and test your teammates pull requests
- Contribute to and maintain our existing Rspec test suites
- Maintain and update our sales tax reporting application
- Build out apps and services for managing thousands of sales tax rules
- Help with improving and scaling our SmartCalcs API
- Work with Rails, Elixir, Vue.js, Heroku, Postgres, Sidekiq, Magento, WooCommerce, and more
- Help monitor and support 24/7 Rails applications and services
- Spend time working the customer success inbox. Our employees, even the CEO, spend time doing this - we’re all in it together.
This is a full-time remote position, available to people located in the US.
- 3+ years production experience with: Rails 4, Postgres, Sidekiq
- Ability to write clear and accurate tests using RSpec/Capybara
- Write code that is maintainable and readable by your team
- Be accountable for the code you deliver to production
- Manage development tasks from assignment through to production
- Agile, humble, trustworthy, and a team player
- Rapid learner who thrives in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Passion for building simple and intuitive solutions for complex problems in ecommerce
- Prior SaaS development, API development or similar app dev experience
- Excel at communicating with the team remotely (chat, video, email, etc)
You’ll be a great fit on our team if you are:
- A PRO at communicating
- Well-experienced working remotely
- Never tired of learning
- Looking for a culture that prioritizes shipping products and going to market quickly
- Confident in your skills and a solid team player (We’re all peers here, no egos please)
- Hungry to play an impactful role and not afraid to fail
- Excited to be part of the company leading innovation in the sales tax space
We’re a happy team and we all really love what we do. We've created a space where high-achievers can succeed, but are also safe to fail. We're profitable and focused on growing TaxJar sustainably. We're always learning how to make TaxJar the best place to work for all of us, and not just another tech startup. We’re always looking for amazing new teammates to come share in the excitement of solving real-world problems with technology. Read more about a day in the life at TaxJar.
We offer all of our employees amazing benefits. Visit www.TaxJar.com/jobs for a full list of our benefits and to learn more about how we work and what we stand for.
If you're not the perfect fit for this position, but you know someone who is, we'll pay you $1000 if you refer us to the person we hire.
More remote rails jobs
Rails backend developer Localistico
Backend Rails Engineer Retail Zipline