Mid Backend Engineer
This job offer is expired
Lingokids mission is to remove language barriers and provide quality education for all children around the world. To achieve it, we are building a great technical team and we are in need of a really senior backend engineer. Our core language is ruby on rails, by the way. Our headquarter is in Madrid and most of the team works here, but we are open to remote contributors.
We are building an online language learning platform for children that offers fresh educational content weekly, presented through a ludic interface that encourages receptive learning.
We already have an established product, with a user base of over 5 million users, but we don't just rest on our laurels. Our talented team of product designers, software engineers, and content producers tweak and improve our product daily, while incorporating feedback from our customers.
We need a well-rounded backend developer with experience in designing, prototyping, implementing, documenting, maintaining, and debugging robust backend systems at scale.
You will get to work on:
- Our in-house billing system that provides a centralised subscription management system for our product that integrates with AppStore Connect, Google Play Billing, and Stripe Billing.
- An event processing pipeline that receives thousands of user generated events per second, stores them, transforms them, and forwards them onto a number of 3rd party analytics services.
- The content management system that delivers our weekly in-house content to our customers.
- An infrastructure topology that includes AWS-hosted computing capacity, multiple Postgres databases, message brokers, background workers, CDNs, in-memory caches, etc.
- And of course, a slew of interesting customer-facing features, that you will help define side-by-side with our product folk.
- Our stack is Ruby on Rails, Postgres, AWS, Redis, React Native, and Unity 3D. We prefer to pick the right tool for the job over trendy new tech.
- Believe that written and spoken communication is the most important skill to solving any engineering problem.
- Have soft skills that include, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open mindedness; we are not big on dogma or cargo-culting here.
- Thrive when working as part of a diverse, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary team.
- Relentlessly seek simple, elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in designing, building, maintaining, and evolving backend systems.
- Are an engineer with a solid grasp of distinct programming paradigms, system architectures, development methodologies, and testing approaches. And you know when to use each one.
- Have worked at a fast-paced, agile, product-oriented technology company before.
- Experience developing projects in ruby on rails is a highly valued resource.
SALARY RANGE & BENEFITS
€35K – €45K
Furthermore we are proud of our culture and work hard to make sure every team member loves what they do. Check some of the perks and benefits of working in the EU and being a Lingoer
- Stock-options: Joining the Lingokids journey means you own part of the company.
- Free books: We buy you any books that can help you be even better at your work.
- Family Leave: Enjoy up to 4 months of paid family leave, regardless of when you joined.
- Unlimited Snacks & Drinks: Our kitchen is always full, from beer to daily fresh fruits.
- Retreats & Social Gatherings: Our team celebrates monthly get-togethers and an annual retreat.
- Visa Sponsorship: If needed, we will fully-sponsor a EU visa to come work with us.
- Language Lessons: We offer language lessons in Spanish and English.
- Gear: Get hooked up with a Macbook (or PC) to do your best work.
- Fridays Lunch & Learn: Weekly all-hands gathering to lunch and learn from each other.
- Holidays: 23 days of paid leave, and 14 days of bank holidays a year!
- Flexible Hours: Busy parent, or night owl? We get it. 9 to 5 is not for all of us either.
- International Office: Multicultural team with 10+ nationalities and day-to-day work in English.
- Sunny Spain: Sunny Spain: Over 300 days of sunshine per year with blue-skies.
If the offer is interesting for you and you think it fits with your profile, send your CV with as many info as possible, including examples of projects, or links to public repositories (Github, Bitbucket, etc) to jobs[at]lingokids.com
We are very agile in the process, after a call from our HR team, you will make a first technical interview with team members. Later we will propose a code challenge. If everything goes well, the last interview will be with our VP of Engineering. We try to be very transparent and give you timely feedback of each step
If all this sounds good do not hesitate to write us, we are happy to meet you!!