Frontend developer with React & Rails experience
This job offer is expired
Salary: 100-120k AUD + superannuation
Job type: Full-time (either 4 or 5 days)
Industry: science, research, health
Company type: Private, non-profit, < 15 employees
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Covidence is looking for web application developers to join our Melbourne-based team. Our engineering ethos is to build software that is easy to maintain and scale with a small team from simple, functional components. You'll be a key contributor to the product and will have a voice in the organisation as a whole.
We are seeking someone with who can build a vision and architecture for iteratively migrating our frontend away from Backbone, towards Webpack, React, and GraphQL. Our ideal candidate is comfortable additionally contributing to the Ruby backend, in particular developing the GraphQL API to support the frontend development, migrating assets out of Rails' asset pipeline, and converting Rails views to React as needed.
The work you do will have meaningful impact in the world, improving health and well-being by enabling and supporting the use of evidence-based research and practice. Researchers worldwide use our SaaS product to distill the deluge of research findings into effective practices in health, education and other fields of human well-being.
We are a small and young non-profit company, still building the foundation for a sustainable future and a great company culture. New additions to the team are encouraged to contribute in shaping the company and culture around our shared values: honesty, compassion, curiosity, and diligence.
Some things you could work on...
- Setting a strong architectural precedent for the frontend application and leading the modernisation of our legacy Backbone codebase
- Unifying disparate UI elements into re-usable components
- Integrating machine assistance features into efficient user workflows
- Working on in-browser PDF annotation features
- Improving the frontend performance and accessibility
- Laptop, monitor, and other equipment provided
- Transparent and sustainable working environment
- Flexible working location and hours
- $2,000 AUD per year budget for professional development such as conferences or learning materials
- Not-for-profit salary packaging concessions (salary sacrifice your rent/mortgage!) - implementation in-progress
- We value continually improving our code quality and reducing technical complexity
- We inform our product changes with user testing and research
- We build software to encourage health practices supported by data, and we aim to build that software using practices and through decisions supported by data
- Opportunities to collaborate with experts in machine learning, medical research, and other fields
- Regular 1-on-1s with manager
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.