Senior Software Engineer who loves Ruby
This job offer is expired
We currently have an opportunity for a creative and enthusiastic Senior Software Engineer to join our team in Cambridge and build extraordinary software that changes how the research and education networking community collaborates, innovates and shares knowledge.
This is an interesting and varied role is which you will architect, design, develop, test and finally implement bespoke information systems in Ruby on various Java related technologies. Ensuring all work is carried out to the highest of standards, you will test, review and enhance existing applications whilst providing support for developed systems. Agile / Scrum development will also be required.
This role is based in Cambridge however will be required to travel within Europe as part of the role.
We are looking for a degree educated Software Engineer with a comprehensive understanding of the full stack software development lifecycle. With excellent programming experience, specifically on Ruby you will be able to demonstrate hands on development experience from within a Linux environment. It is essential that you have a good understanding of Agile methodology (Scrum) and test driven development and you will have working knowledge of source code versioning control.
With excellent interpersonal and communication skills, you will be a self-starter with an efficient approach and highly adaptable to changing circumstances.
The majority of the work involves:
- Interacting with internal and external stakeholders to understand business requirements
- Architecting, designing, developing, testing and implementing bespoke Information Systems in Python / Django / PHP / Java and related technologies
- Agile / Scrum development
- Testing, reviewing, enhancing and maintaining existing applications
- Providing level 3 support for developed systems
- Configuring and managing applications on project workstations/servers
- Ensuring all work is carried out to the highest quality standards with appropriate detailed documentation
- Working in a collaborative environment interacting with various stakeholdersIn addition to the above you will carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required.
- You will be required to travel within Europe in this role.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent, in computer science or information systems
- Comprehensive understanding of the full stack software development lifecycle
- Able to demonstrate hands-on development experience in a Linux environment
- Excellent programming experience in Web development technologies, specifically Python/Django/Pyramid/PyPi with RDBMS
- Knowledge of Web Services/Java/JSP/SPRING 3/Hibernate
- Knowledge of Trust & Identity technologies (such as SAML, OpenID Connect, OAuth, Shibboleth, SimpleSamlPHP)
- Working with third party APIs, JSON, SOAP, REST
- Working knowledge of Linux Operating Systems, preferably Red Hat 7.0/Centos 7.0 and Debian
- Working knowledge of Source Code versioning control, specifically GIT
- Good understanding of Agile methodology (Scrum) and Test Driven Development
- Experience in deploying applications in a virtualised environment
Nice to Haves:
- Master’s degree in related discipline
- Good understanding and experience of computer networks, preferably including optical networks
- Good understanding of Puppet/Docker/Ansible
- Basic understanding of security, AA infrastructures & SNMP
Personal Skills and Attributes
- First-class interpersonal skills with an open and collaborative approach
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, inspiring and open-minded attitude
- Agile and efficient approach, highly adaptable to changing circumstances
- Creative with the ability to bring innovative ideas
- Self-starter able to work on own initiative and take ownership of work