Senior Ruby on Rails / Backend Software Developers (f/m)
This job offer is expired
Mobisol Group is a leading global player in decentralised solar electrification. Driven by market demand for off-grid solutions beyond lighting, Mobisol designs, distributes and services large solar systems, seamlessly integrated with proprietary pay-as-you-go (PAYG) software. By combining the latest high-tech solar hardware with mobile payment technologies, the Berlin based company ensures affordability through flexible payment plans. Mobisol enables rural families and businesses to power a wide range of compatible appliances, such as televisions and stereos, thereby improving people's standard of living and enabling incremental income from new solar-powered businesses. With over 750 employees, Mobisol runs its own operations in Tanzania, Kenya and Rwanda, while providing hardware and software solutions through a growing network of B2B partnerships in another nine countries worldwide.
WHAT THIS JOB IS ABOUT
Help us to provide clean and affordable energy to a billion customers in the global South! Mobisol has developed a B2B software platform that enables businesses to scale in rural off-grid markets.
Pick your challenges: Help us modularize and divide a Rails monolith (ca. 140 models), implement architectural patterns, (re-)engineer our view-layer framework, set up multi-tenancy, do message queues with Kafka, design our APIs to be RESTful and fast, or build interfaces for data analysis...
...either way – you will put your fingerprint on the platform that drives Mobisol to deliver the best service and products to our rural customers in Africa.
Together with our international Software Development Team you...
- push our product further – develop new features together with stakeholders across all Mobisol departments and sites
- upgrade our existing software – re-design and refactor existing software infrastructure to meet new business or performance requirements
- are a key player in our team – take an active part in the development team's processes
- hold the strings together – implement interfaces with external and mobile software infrastructure
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby 2.4, Rails 5 and 4.1 w/ ActiveAdmin, Grape
- MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis
- SOA around the middleware using Kafka
- Monolith around the frontend which needs modularization
- Frontend: HAML, SASS, vue.js and Angular with regular JS
- Passion for discovering, evaluating and implementing new technical solutions for Mobisol's vision to plug in the world
- Solid and demonstrable experience in and understanding of web development
- In-depth understanding of high level software mechanisms, and best practices
- Experience with Ruby On Rails, and awareness of its limitations
- Preference to work with the *nix based operating systems
- Experience with agile software development team processes
- Intercultural competency, creativity, team spirit, good humor
- Professional level of English; knowledge of German or Swahili is an asset
- Be part of a great team – we are international and diverse, welcoming, self-organised, passionate - and 20% female (looking for more!).-Develop personally and professionally – besides new experiences of developing in an international context with new technologies, we strongly support your participation in Hackathons, developer conferences and classical trainings.
- Flat hierarchies and unusual ways of doing things – your prior experiences and spontaneous crazy ideas are more than welcome! Flexibility is key, also in practical matters: Students can work part-time, and home office/remote work is possible.
- A fun work environment – enjoy our bright modern offices during the day (no dresscode, of course), and after work: join our climbing crew, the boxing team or the Mobisol choir!
- Do something meaningful – you will be an essential part of an enterprise that brings real positive impact to countless families in Africa.
HOW TO APPLY
Important for us are your skills and your motivation rather than certificates or university degrees. Please apply via the button below!
As an equal opportunity employer, Mobisol offers all of its employees and applicants full equal opportunity irrespective of race, ethnic origin, sexual identity and disability, religion or beliefs.