Are you someone who has a passion for Ruby and is looking to play an important role in an amazing team and to grow your skills?
In simple terms, we're looking for an Ruby Developer to join our growing team based in Paddington. Someone with a commercial background in crafting and developing applications.
Do you enjoy working in a flexible, agile environment, with core values of transparency and continuous improvement with the desire to contribute, learn and grow, working on a platform that will improve people's lives 80 years from now? Pensions are a long-term project!
How we work
We focus on developing the best application for our customers and don't cut costs - quality is essential to everything we do, working software that always works! Alongside our phenomenal team we use many contemporary tools such as AWS, GitHub, Circle CI, New Relic, to name a few. Our approach to code is simple, keep it clean and ensure it has good test coverage. We don't ship code just to hit a deadline. At Smart Pension you will work collaboratively with experienced developers who will review your code and you will review their code, everyone is treated equal with a PR. This approach has helped us maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
What you'll do
- Develop new user facing features.
- Engineering a better code base with your team.
- Work within a smaller 8-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organisation
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage.
- Review Pull Requests from other developers.
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment
- Be awesome at what you do best, code!
- Occasionally pair with other Engineers - we have pairing machines
- Directly Report to a Tech Lead who will help mentor you and guide your career
As a team
Smart Pension is dynamic, exciting and diverse. Pension companies in the past have been slow to adapt to new technology and methods, but with Smart Pension we're changing the world of Pensions and to keep up with it, we look for people who are happy to operate in an ambiguous environment, people who bring ideas to the table but above all, people who deliver software. We look to move forward at pace and we are upbeat and passionate about making things successful!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce. Over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches as the recent Rails Girls event - a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
We are excited by new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches. We run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team! Test new technologies, try new ideas - we're excited to get your ideas out to the world!
Smart Pension is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
We’re excited for you to make Smart Pension an even more awesome place to work!
What skills you need...
- Good commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on rails environment
- Understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Love to work using TDD
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, working with an amazing team and deliver software