← Back to all jobs
Ruby on Rails / React Developer
At Planning Center, we build powerful, beautiful applications specifically for churches. Each of our apps has a dedicated team of designers and developers who are committed to refining and expanding their specific app in response to real customer needs. Our customers include over 90 of the 100 largest churches in the country, but also tens of thousands of small community and neighborhood churches, and we strive to make day-to-day operations easier for all of them.
We’re a development driven company — over half our staff are either developers or designers who code, and even our founder spends much of his time programming — and we’re seeking another developer with expertise in Ruby, Rails, and React to help make our software even better.
Developers at Planning Center are:
- Invested. We care about the products we create and the people we create them for, and we all contribute to the vision and direction of our apps. Every one of our developers is critical to their team.
- Curious. We aren’t afraid to ask questions, experiment, and iterate. We also love playing with fun new technologies, and we have Free Weeks every few months for exploring projects that spark our interest.
- Humble. We are always looking for opportunities to grow and learn from one another.
We believe the strongest teams are made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating that diversity here at Planning Center. We are ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do your best work.
In your daily life at Planning Center, you could expect to:
- Take ownership of your projects and have a voice in how to best complete them
- Collaborate with your product manager, front-end designer, and fellow app team developers
- Engage in an agile development process
- Make coffee eight different ways in our rad coffee bar
- ...or, if you’re remote, drink coffee in a hip co-working space that we help pay for
- Do work you’re proud of alongside a team of smart, thoughtful, like-minded developers
What to Expect If You Apply
There's no reason for this process to be an adventure full of unknown surprises! Here's what you're getting yourself into:
- Submit your resume.
- We'll have a quick and casual phone call (10-15 minutes) to introduce ourselves and to double check that this position is the type of position that you are interested in and could be a good fit for.
- You'll be sent a programming exercise covering the basics of the tech stack that we use at Planning Center (Ruby, Rails, and React). This is an opportunity for you to see a glimpse of the kind of work you'd be doing here, and for us to begin evaluating technical skills.
- A live pair programming exercise with our team. There's no whiteboards, and no typing! Someone from our team will type as the two of you work through a pair programming exercise together. You'll get to meet another potential future co-worker, and we'll get a glimpse into how you work as we make some tests pass together.
- Pack your bags, you're coming to San Diego! The final step is a day in our San Diego office where you'll get to meet our leadership team and members of your potential new product team. It will be a full day of interviews with different people where we'll both have lots of chances to find out if we're a good fit for each other.
- It's offer time! Throughout all the previous steps, your expertise and experience have been assessed against our well defined developer levels and the salary amount of the offer will be decided solely based on that assessment. At Planning Center, every developer of the same skill level makes the same amount (plus a small bonus for seniority). We aim to pay at the 90th percentile for each level based on research from Payscale.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- If remote, must be willing to travel to the office four times each year to connect with the rest of the team in person.
- Proven experience as a full stack developer (or similar role) using Ruby, Rails, and React.
We love our people and want this to be the best place for them to work. In addition to a competitive salary (starting between $100,000 - $150,000 depending on expertise), we offer:
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage
- Company contribution to a 401(k)
- Mobile phone allowance
- Co-working stipend
- Health stipend for counseling or a gym membership
- Charitable giving match
- Paid parental leave
- Vacation and paid holidays
- Paid Fridays off in the summer
- Continual education allowance for books, videos, or conferences
- Free weeks every several months to work on a project of your choosing
The things you need to get your job done - laptop, monitor, standing desk, chair - all on us!
Work from Anywhere in the USA
We are dedicated to hiring the best talent available; part of working at Planning Center is the option to work remote! We fly our remote team into the office once every quarter, so you can enjoy the nice California weather and connect with the rest of the team (75% of which is remote).Apply now
or subscribe to receive rails jobs in your e-mail
More remote rails jobs
Lead Full-Stack Rails Developer Workbar
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer N2 Publishing
Software Engineering Team Lead CompanyCam