Senior Backend Engineer Ruby on Rails or Node.JS
This job offer is expired
Babbel is the world’s top-grossing and most effective language-learning app. No small feat, and no small challenge. In a moment rife with talk of walls, we’re building bridges — making the language-learning journey as exciting and empowering as possible, helping people forge new connections and participate in worlds bigger than their own.
Babbel is for everyone, not some niche or elite strata of learners. Everyone. That means reflecting the dynamism and diversity of our users, as much as possible, in the production of Babbel. We currently have 750 people from more than 50 nationalities working in our Berlin and New York offices. A culture of difference and dignity is critical to how we’ve connected with millions of users in every hemisphere.
We are looking for an experienced Ruby on Rails Developersto join our office in Berlin, Germany!
Does this describe you?:
- I have experience in building scalable systems and applications using Ruby, Node.JS, or Go
- I know how to deal with at least one component-based frontend framework like React
- I know how to test software on different levels: unit, integration, contract and E2E
- I am able to analyse metrics about system health and performance
- I enjoy learning and improving myself
- I understand lean and agile practices
- I have good communication and interpersonal skills
- I am fluent in written and spoken English
Nice to have:
- Experience in using cloud services (ideally AWS)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (DynamoDB, MongoDB)
- First Experience with any infrastructure as code tool (ideally Terraform)
- Basic knowledge of statistics necessary to set up and understand metrics
What you can be doing at Babbel?:
- Deliver high-quality web applications from designing and iterating new features into production in short sprint cycles
- Independently build, maintain and take on ownership of complex software modules and services
- Collaborate cross-functionally to inform API design and architectural decisions
- Maintain and make use of a good overview of the overall technology stack and infrastructure
- Shape, facilitate and survey coding guidelines and quality standards
- Understand and take ownership the system performance and health
- React, troubleshoot and solve operational events (bugs and incidents)
- Independently focus on continuous learning and improvement and drive the evolution of our engineering practices
Come on join us!
Make a real impact in the world in a meaningful way at a company that values its employees.
- We’re driven by a bold challenge: Everyone learning languages
- Diversity is our strength - we are a vibrant international company with people from over 50 different nationalities
- We’re a learning company - we provide opportunities for employees to level-up through our Babbel Academy
- We have a lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- We offer great company benefits e.g. 30 days holidays, a high-end company bike or BVG ticket, a budget for external training, fresh fruit & drinks
Questions about a career at Babbel? Contact us!