Lead Back End Ruby Engineer
This job offer is expired
Lead Ruby Engineer
About Koru Kids
Koru Kids is building the world’s best childcare service, starting in London. We’re making it easier and more affordable for families to access high quality childcare. We’re growing rapidly, backed by some of the best investors in Europe, and we’ve won a bunch of awards.
A little about the role
This role is perfect for an experienced Ruby Engineer with some leadership experience who wants to continue to lead a software team in a start-up about to enter a hyper growth phase. As we grow, we’re looking for someone to take ownership of a team and help shape our engineering culture with the other Lead Engineers and Head of Engineering through process and practice.
We have a mature and stable tech stack and a healthy codebase, built with a strong focus on quality and best practices, which allows for fast design iterations, short development cycles and quick fixes when challenges spring up. You will continue to champion our values and continually drive us to be better at everything we do.
You’ll be continuously improving our product, working with your team to build key features that will move the needle in a big way. Instead of an endless product roadmap, you’ll run short development cycles to test assumptions and make smart decisions quickly.
We’re not a deep tech company, and we don’t pretend to be. What is challenging is how we’re providing a tech solution to a complex problem specific to human interactions and behaviours. Ultimately we are reinventing one of the last essential areas of our social infrastructure that remains largely untouched by technology.
Cool things you could work on
- Helping us scale our public transit time and routing services, enabling lightning quick calculations of transit time between hundreds of thousands of families across London and beyond.
- Refining our search algorithms and building tools to make complex ‘matching’ problems a breeze, to give families and nannies a solution that works.
- Designing our payroll infrastructure, supporting thousands of individual employee shift submissions every month, ensuring we invoice our families and pay our nannies accurately and on time. This will eventually extend to being a fully fledged scheduling and shift management tool.
A little about you
- You are a back-end Ruby Engineer with experience writing and shipping code in a production environment
- You have led software projects of various sizes in the past, capable of breaking down nebulous problems into manageable pieces with your fellow team members
- You contribute widely to making others better via code review, mentoring and training
- When presented with a complex problem, process or existing system, you are consistently able to reduce the complexity in order to get more done with less work
- You understand that sometimes the way to be most productive is to give your time to your team members
- You’ve worked with product owners/managers to improve ways of working across the whole team
How you like to work
- You focus your entire team on consistent, sustainable delivery; optimising software for change and minimising the impact of failure
- You understand the business that your code supports and possess empathy for the users of your software; you use this understanding to influence prioritization
- You know the value of short feedback loops at all levels of the software development process from Test-Driven Development, user testing and continuous delivery
- You go beyond simply making decisions by publicising your frameworks for decision making.
- You understand that a cross-functional team contains people with a wide variety of technical skills and understand the importance of effective communication to share practices and support the entire team
- You make pragmatic choices about tooling, understanding the total cost of ownership of any technical decision
About the team:
We have an informal, hard-working and kind team culture. We’re all passionate about our mission and are determined to create a truly fantastic childcare service to help working parents. Our culture is friendly and fast paced – we are constantly challenging, testing and adapting the way we do things. We’re also really committed to working with integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are truly proud of. We’re growing super fast but we also want to make sure that we are building a company on really solid foundations.
We take great care with who we hire and all team members are superbly talented and really nice. If you’re brilliant and humble, you’ll fit right in.
- Based in a WeWork in Old Street, you get nice coffee machines, free yoga classes, and a secure bike room & showers.
- 25 days holiday a year.
- As a proud equal opportunity employer we are supportive of flexible working patterns, and alternative working arrangements. We are committed to hiring candidates based on business needs, job requirements, and candidate qualifications, without regard to individual’s characteristics or backgrounds. Our offices are step-free, and have non-gendered bathrooms.