Senior Back End and Full Stack Developers
Spoonflower is one of the hottest brands in the DIY space. Our website makes it possible for individuals to create and sell unique fabrics, wallpaper, home textiles and gift wrap. Many of the designers who use Spoonflower to create products also use it to sell their work, making Spoonflower the world’s largest marketplace of surface designs created by indie artists. The community of designers and shoppers who make up Spoonflower is central to what we do. With offices in Durham, North Carolina and Berlin, Germany, our goal is to continue to expand the reach of Spoonflower’s services internationally, and, more generally, to expand the opportunities available for individuals to express themselves through color, pattern and personalization.
The selected candidate will be responsible for...
- Continuously improving and modernizing the existing codebase.
- Monitoring quality, optimizing performance, and developing test coverage and methodologies for continuous code release.
- Developing new functionality for our various services.
- Working closely with project and product management for setting project priorities and scoping decisions.
- Participating in code reviews.
- Adhere to and support the agile software development methodology employed within the engineering team.
Who Are We Looking For?
If you have the following background, along with an interest in helping to continue building our business, we are looking for you!
- At least 5 years of programming experience - as a full-time team member in a professional setting.
- Skills in Ruby on Rails, Node.js, or similar programming tools.
- Skills with SQL and data architecture.
- Experience working with service oriented cloud architectures.
- Experience with functional programming is a plus.
- Experience with systems level language programming a plus.
- Experience in image processing is a plus.
The candidate who will be most successful in this role is...
- A solutions-oriented thinker used to looking for the smartest/best solution to a problem rather than jumping at the first answer.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently.
- Able to be accountable for production-level code and have a track record of delivering quality, bug-free code on schedule.
- Passionate about continuously improving user experience and delivering customer value. Articulate and concise with professional written and verbal communications and a working English proficiency in speaking and writing.
- Someone with hands on experience working with or building e-commerce products or platforms.
- Excited about the latest trends in application design and best practices.
- Comfortable working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Highly self-motivated and directed with a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute competing projects and tasks.
And, if you...
- Have an ability to work with designers to develop dynamic user experiences,
- Are a quick learner open to exploring new languages and frameworks,
- Can easily adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and are able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events,
- Have a passion for design, innovation and out-of-the-box solutions,
- Have an affinity for crafting or the DIY movement in general.
...it’s even better!
What Can We Offer You?
At Spoonflower, creativity, customer-focus, resourcefulness, authenticity, fun and trust are the core values of our workplace. We encourage a casual, family-friendly office space and love when our employees are just as creative and passionate as our customers. Our team is full of multitalented individuals who embody -- like our customers -- a DIY ethic and embrace hard work. As part of Spoonflower, we offer team members outstanding benefits, including company paid medical coverage for employees and their families (US office), generous time off benefits, a 401k plan with company match the support of continuing education, and the chance to learn new skills and advance within the company. And... did we mention the monthly fabric/wallpaper allowance?
Does this sound like you? If yes, we would love to talk to you. If you're interested in joining Spoonflower, please send a cover letter, telling us what inspires you about Spoonflower and why you think you are perfect for our team. We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you can do. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We have a trove of talented individuals in the Durham and RTP areas. Therefore, only local candidates will be considered! No agencies or outside recruiters, please. Any unsolicited resumes will be fed to our printers. Candidates and/or resumes presented to non-HR employees from recruiters and/or agencies will be disqualified.
We look forward to hearing from you!