Senior Software Engineer
Hipcamp is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our growing team in San Francisco! Please feel free to apply if you're a front-end or back-end specialist as we are considering senior applicants throughout the stack. To learn all about what Hipcamp Engineering is like click here. Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are deeply passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are deeply proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide. At Hipcamp, we believe programming is a practice, like yoga or surfing. It is a skill that can be eternally improved, an art form so infinitely complex that it cannot be mastered. We encourage team members to continue learning and exploring their curiosities. We like to deploy features early and often, learning as much as we can in the process. The foundation of our blameless culture is trust in our engineers.
What you will get to do
- Collaborate with stakeholders across all business units to design and spec features. Act as primary engineering representative to cross-functional teams.
- Owning features end to end, using best judgment to manage priorities.
- Deliver code that sets the standard for quality and maintainability.
- Research and lead adoption of new systems/technologies.
- Mentor junior team members, review code, unblock others, and level-up the team.
- Define best coding practices across the stack.
- Responsible for design decisions, managing potential issues, trade-offs and risks.
What skills we ask for
- Working on a consumer web app at scale.
- Experience with large, high-availability production Ruby-on-Rails environment.
- Deep knowledge of web app frameworks, object-oriented languages and modern testing frameworks.
- Experience deploying large-scale mission-critical features.
- Experience with relational databases (Postgres pref) and NoSQL data stores (Redis and ElasticSearch pref).
- Exposure to React Native, React, Redux and Webpack.
Working at Hipcamp
- As a team, we're committed to striving toward and evolving these shared values in ourselves and in other team members
- We believe health is essential to happiness. That's why teammates receive a monthly fitness stipend, an annual camping credit to get outside, as well as 50% off all Hipcamp listings (if you used up all of your annual credit). :)
- We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess.
- We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members.
- We take team camping trips together, have a stocked gear library and access to pro deals at various outdoor brands.
- Our sunny, plant-filled office is located at 965 Mission Street, near the Powell BART station.
- We hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office.
- We love sunlight, plants, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin’ sauce and hope you do too.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.Apply now