Backend Engineer - San Francisco - Junior/Mid/Senior - Cisco Meraki
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup vibe.
Our devices are some of the most popular in the world: there are over 6.8 million devices online globally. This popularity comes with large scalability challenges: our backend handles more than 10 billion of requests to our devices 24/7/365.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In near real time, Cisco Meraki collects massive amounts of data from its devices all over the world. We write nearly 6 million data points each second globally every day. With this data, we help to power Dashboard and allow our customers insight into the state of their networks. As a member of the Backend team, you will develop, scale, and maintain our dashboard and the lower-layer services and infrastructure that power the data behind it. You will work with many different people within Engineering and throughout Cisco Meraki to help build the infrastructure and data pipelines to power their data-driven decisions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Design, build, and maintain scalable data pipelines that ingest all the data that runs our dashboard.
- Ensure data consistency across various multi-region data centers by building custom replication solution for our relational datastore that houses the backbone of Meraki’s configuration data.
- Work with various groups within Cisco Meraki to understand their and our customers’ data requirements and requests.
- Add features to LittleTable (our custom time-series database that stores 100 of TB’s of data and is written to millions of times a second) to guarantee high performance across our geo-distributed customer base.
- Experience and passion for analyzing, scaling, and debugging large systems.
- Excitement for working with large data sets in real-time.
- Basic understanding of SQL, including experience working with one or more relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL or MySQL).
- Experience in object-oriented and/or functional programming languages (e.g. Scala, Ruby, C++, Go).
- You take an focused, organized approach to development, testing, and quality.
- You're passionate about what you're doing and ignite people around you.