Ruby Developer - Platform Group
This job offer is expired
- Unique scale for an Australian business, world's 4th largest Ruby App by traffic
- Continuously deployed up to 20 times a day!
- We're still growing! We've created a huge number of new developer roles due to growth
- Work from anywhere in Australia or from HQ in Melbourne at one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
We're continuing to grow our team and we're looking for developers who would love the opportunity to work at Australia's premier Ruby development company. We work in small cross-functional teams with a variety of skills and experience so, whether you're a passionate Ruby newbie or you've worked at our scale before, we'd love to hear from you.
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, we're a completely online company with an ecosystem of sites and services to help people get creative. In September 2014, one of our sites, ThemeForest, was the 90th most visited website in the world and it remains among the most visited Australian-owned website on the planet! With more than 350 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million.
JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 BRW Awards.
On Envato Market thousands of people earn a living selling things like WordPress themes, photos, music tracks and illustrations. With Envato Elements, we oversee one of the world’s largest subscription services for digital creatives, providing hundreds of thousands of files for unlimited download for one flat fee. We offer website design and hosting with Envato Sites. On our education platform Tuts+, over 5 million people learn skills including code, illustration, photography, web design, and more, each month. We also run a freelance marketplace called Envato Studio.
You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
Can you Meet the Expectations of Envato's Engineering Team?
At Envato, our Engineers expect certain things of each other. Not all of these are easy to uphold. Are you ready to join the team and meet the expectations of your peers at Envato? Read about the expectations and how they were developed by our team on our technical blog.
What you'll be doing
- Writing clean, well thought out and reliable code
- Participating as a member of a small cross-functional team containing members with different skills and experience
- You'll work on big projects, small maintenance tasks, server management tasks and anything else that makes software our customers love
- Taking lots of responsibility for your work as most teams don't have analysts, testers or system administrators
- Taking part in our 24/7 on-call rotation supporting one of the biggest websites in the world
- Be a nice person who cares about their work
- Communicate well in person and in writing
- Be a curious person committed to continual learning
- Be capable of writing clean, well thought out, and reliable code
- Be comfortable working on a project from the original fuzzy brief through development and deployment and beyond with minimal oversight required
- Be comfortable in a Linux software development and deployment environment
- Have commercial Ruby on Rails experience
- Have solid TDD/BDD experience
- Have experience of other high volume/scale web apps
- Contribute to Open Source projects
- Past experience in other agile environments
- Excellent Linux knowledge
What We've Got
A Great Team and Culture
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they're working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We were recently named Australia's Coolest Tech Company by JobAdvisor and one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard-working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from experienced Ruby Developers who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the below questions. Good luck!