Do-it-all Engineer for High Impact Climate Effort
This job offer is expired
*** We are seeking candidates in NYC, Philly, or in between, because we want to connect in person at HQ at least once a week. Remote work the rest of the time is fine. ***
Take a world-changing job.
Climate Central is a recognized US and global leader in climate science and communication. Our research and web applications have repeatedly been featured in the New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, and Associated Press, as well as on NBC, CBS and PBS national evening news programs, NPR, and many hundreds more online, print, TV and radio outlets in 89 countries. We have testified in the U.S. Senate, and our online tools are being used in practical ways at local through federal levels and internationally.
Climate Central is a non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial atmosphere. We are home to leading scientists and communicators researching and reporting the facts about our changing climate and its impacts and solutions. To apply, write us a note in Stack Overflow about why you are interested in this specific job, as well as submitting your resume.
- Advance a new generation of sea level rise maps and tools, on back and front ends
- Lead cloud migration effort and improve research-to-product pipeline
- Create web visualizations to supplement scientific research publications
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience, plus at least 5 years
- Strong Linux experience
- Experience with cloud computing services (Amazon Web Services, or similar)
- Web technologies: HTML5/CSS, React, Node.js, D3, Flask
- Database experience: PostgreSQL, MySQL, or similar (we use Postgres)
- You are highly self-motivated, work well independently and in a small team, and have the reliability and maturity to hold top technical responsibility for externally facing assets vital to our organization
- You are attentive to detail, constantly curious, and open to tackling tasks large and small
Highly Desired Qualifications
- Functional programming enthusiasm, and experience with map-reduce computing methodology and associated tools
- Experience with mapping software and tools such as Mapnik and GIS
- A good touch with UI design and/or data visualization for broad audiences
- Data analysis or scientific computing experience, esp. using the SciPy stack
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.