User Interface (UI) Architect / Lead
This job offer is expired
At Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR), our mission is to discover innovative medicines that treat disease and human health. To do that, our scientists need cutting-edge, state-of-the-art computing systems.
Today, we are witnessing a revolution. Technology advancement is changing the landscape of drug and target discovery. A decade ago, sequencing a single genome cost $100 million and took years. Today, it takes about a week and $1,000, creating terabytes of data. At NIBR Informatics, we create tools that empower scientists to accelerate drug discovery and improve patients' lives. We build data, business logic, analysis, and visualization platforms and applications for our customers – 6,000 scientists worldwide – that allow them to solve problems that have never been solved before.
As data scientists, we collaborate with chemists and biologists as part of cross-disciplinary teams. We have helped advance treatments by coming up with solutions to answer questions we could only previously ask.
NIBR is making a strategic investment into IT capabilities and is positioning itself to deliver the systems and services that are critical to the future of drug discovery. The IT organization is seeking senior leadership, skilled designers, and energetic developers who share our vision that science serves a greater purpose in improving human health.
For this position, we are looking to hire a UI architect / lead developer to lead the team building UI frameworks and components to be re-used by many at NIBR.
If you are a technical leader and motivator who is excited to see the team deploy new functionality that really makes a difference in peoples’ health then you will thrive and make a real difference at NIBR.
Joining our team means getting the best aspects of both a large company (stability, pay, benefits) and a startup (open to change, ability to wear multiple hats, creative and intellectual environment) at the same time. Think Google Labs but without the project shelving!
• Technical leader and architect for a team of UI developers who build web applications with a focus on internal developer tools
• Shared vision of Rapid UI, efficient, and adaptable UI frameworks, and re-usable UI components
• Motivates and mentors the team and supports them in being effective on their projects
• Hands on and leads code reviews, design reviews, technical conversations, decisions, and strategies
• Cares deeply about code craftsmanship, user experience, operational stability and maintainability
• Ensures that UI work within their team and across the wider org are using best practices and appropriately adopting technologies
• Builds internal systems used by thousands of NIBR scientists around the world
• BS degree or higher in Computer Science or related technical field
• 10+ years of software development experience with 5+ years focused on front end technologies for medium to large sized applications
• 5+ years in a technical leadership role
• Successful practical experience with Agile and/or Lean methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban
• User Interface design knowledge and interest
• Experience working on cross-browser platforms
• Acquainted with build and deployment technologies such as AWS, Webpack/Broswerify, and Jenkins
• Education and/or experience with Chemistry, Cheminformatics, Biology, Bioinformatics, and drug discovery desirable