← Back to all jobs
This job offer is expired
We’re looking for a FullStack Developer to build the next generation learning platform for kids.
Interested in helping kids to learn more and better? Read on..
Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you are motivated by building an EdTech Platform, mobile apps and API.
Explain is a fresh startup that is creating the next generation of online learning for kids and parents who wants the best possible learning experience. We do that by revolutionizing homework and learning assistance over the internet using the latest scientific research and modern technology.
We believe that every kid should receive the right amount of teaching, in and outside schools.
We empower kids and their families to get access to the best way to learn in this era.
We want to build the right tools that will impact lots of young people.
We believe in small teams and being able to move fast using Lean Startup Methodology.
Everyone working at Explain believe in a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment.
You’ve got a strong background working in our stack (React, ReactNative, ES6, Node.js, etc.).
You have a history of shipping high-quality production code.
You have designed and implemented distributed systems and you know how to create the infrastructure to scale them.
You know how to set your direction and make things happen. You are proactive about pushing yourself to the limits of your ability. You are never happy with the status quo.
You enjoy learning and exploring new areas that you might not have experience with yet.
You are ok working with a distributed team and you have excellent communication skills.
Last but not least, you are friendly and respectful. You strive to approach things in a positive and optimistic way and avoid criticizing or condemning team members or users.
We care about each one of our teammates.
Things you might do
Explain is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here some things you’ll probably do:
- Plan and build product features. That is: Code.
- Dive into the code; fixing bugs and improving developer experience.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Explain
- Collaborate with the team to set the technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- Do support with the customers. Everyone does support.
- Write prototypes for our testable hypotheses.
- Identify talented candidates and help with the recruiting process of your next teammates.
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
- Implement system to improve developer efficiency, improve resilience to failure of our platform and build tools that will improve the life of our DevOps.
- Talking about DevOps: There will be some DevOps work here.
- Ship code.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of, and passion for mobile app best practices
- Solid understanding of RESTful services.
- Knowledge of both relational databases and NOSQL DB
- Thoughtfulness about product design, with good user experience instincts
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Knowledge about the Lean Startup and Agile Methodologies
- AWS Technologies and other cloud platform like Microsoft Azure and Heroku.
- Knowledge of Firebase
- Practical experience with Machine Learning and AI, using tools like TensorFlow and OpenAI
- Knowledge with Docker and Kubernetes.
- You are interested in Open Source and have your own projects.
- Knowledge about testability; interest in unit testing
How to Apply
To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of the interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth (Mars coming soon.). This is a fully remote position!
- Competitive salary
- Great healthcare plan *
- Retirement plan with company match *
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- Paid leave for new parents
- Flexibility in time and work location.
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Flexible vacation policy. We require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year.
* While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to Norway-based employees.
Explain is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical disability, or age.
More remote react jobs
Full Stack Developer Conversio