Application deadline: Aug 17
Take on a leading role in an international, collaborative and curious team of remote developers building consumer tech front-ends in React/React-Native and complex infrastructure backend in Node.js (microservices).
We’re looking for a seasoned full-stack developer that can build features across the entire stack (front-end, back-end, mobile), challenge our thinking on architecture and lead a high-performing team.
We’re excited to tell you about Aula and what we’re working on, but first of all, let us explain who we’re looking for. The most important thing about you is that you are curious and care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives. You are excited about joining a startup with all the ups and downs that entails. You are transparent, reliable and considerate. You are excited about shipping quickly. You are excited about trying out the newest technologies. You are ready to work hard to further our mission.
Beyond this, our requirements are:
- You have experience leading a team of developers (remote is ideal!)
- You have both front-end and back-end experience
- You have experience creating and iterating on products from end-to-end: we think there are certain things that freelance and agency work doesn’t teach you such as working end-to-end (full feature) on an entire system.
- You live within GMT-5 and GMT+5.5 (from South America/Central US time to India, Pakistan and some of Russia) for us to be awake at the same time.
We’re a bunch of people from all over the world (Denmark, France, Albania, Georgia, Pakistan) that care deeply about making educational experiences more engaging. Our developers have previously lead teams that have built things like the Georgian version of Youtube (myvideo.ge with 2.5 million monthly unique viewers) and a novel way to share and view 3D medical images (TissueStack), so beyond focusing on creating a supportive and collaborative environment where features get shipped quickly, we also have quite a bit of experience.
We are backed by a world-class team of investors such as Nordic Makers (an angel group including Co-founders of Unity and Zendesk) and executives from LinkedIn and IBM.
Our tech stack
We only use the bleeding edge tools to build educational infrastructure of the 21st century. We’ve explained it in more detail in this blog post, but here’s a quick overview of what we’re building with:
- React (and React Native)
- Microservices backends with Node.js and AWS
- Mongo, Redis and others dbs
Working at Aula
We think the most important variable in choosing a job is getting the chance to work on complex and important problems with friendly and curious people in a collaborative environment.
But beyond that, joining Aula also means
- A rare opportunity to develop skills in building both consumer tech interfaces as well core infrastructure back-ends
- Being part of a fast-paced and mission-driven startup made up of a creative, friendly and international team.
- Plenty of responsibility, autonomy and encouragement to shape your own tasks and contribute original ideas.
- A supportive environment with an intense focus on learning and improvement
You’ll be doing pair programming, have one-on-ones where we speak about how to develop you both as a programmer and a leader, and occasionally jump on a video call and share a ‘remote meal’ while a team member speaks about a topic they care about.
We’re looking for a seasoned full-stack developer that can build features across the entire stack (front-end, back-end, mobile) and challenge our thinking on architecture. Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be working on:
- Pushing our thinking on core architecture choices
- Be part of leading a high-performing team: inspiring team members, set priorities and own results
- Building backend microservices
- Working directly with Adrian, CPO and designer, to build, maintain and improve slick user interfaces across devices.
- Switching between different apps and devices (web, desktop, iOS, Android).
- Improving and maintaining our distributed architecture.
Interview processes don’t need to be scary and stressful for us to be able to pick out those of you that would fit in the best at Aula.
The first three stages all take place asynchronously in a dedicated Slack channel filled with other curious and smart candidates - it’s turned out to be quite a community. You’ll chat with Oliver about your experience and your thoughts on particular topics, build a simple app, and meet the team on video conference. If both parties feel comfortable, we’ll then give you an offer to join us. The whole process takes place over the course of around 10 days, in your own time.
We put a lot of effort into finding and developing the right team members and we prefer to spend our time on candidates that take the time to understand if they fit into the role. Please start your application with the words ‘I breathe semicolons’ to show that you took your time to read all of this
Look forward to hearing from you,
The Aula teamApply now