← Back to all jobs
This job offer is expired
Hiya 👋We’re the folks at Jilt, an email marketing platform built for eCommerce. We help thousands of stores surprise and delight their customers with automated emails that drive sales. We’re looking for a smart, detail-oriented person to join our team as our first front-end engineer.
You’ll work closely with your teammates on the engineering team (Justin, Lucas, Hannes, Dani, and Jonathan) to create intuitive & engaging interfaces based on direction from the product team (Beka). While Jilt is built as a traditional Ruby/Rails app, we use Angular (v1) to power our visual email editor and Vue.js for some areas with a lot of dynamic content. You’ll work on both areas and help engineer an incredible user experience.
As our first dedicated front-end engineer, the team will often look to you for advice and direction. You’ll help shape our best practices, decide on frameworks and tooling, and refactor older or underperforming parts of the codebase. You’ll also be responsible for moving your projects forward, communicating your progress and milestones with others, and clearly documenting your work.
Here are some things you may do on a given day:
- Track down a tricky bug in the email editor and develop a hotfix
- Research and write a pitch to migrate our CSS to a new framework
- Transform the design for a new part of the UI into HTML / CSS
On the first day you will:
- Meet your team and get familiar with how we work
- Setup your local environment and tooling
- Commit a small tweak to the codebase and ship it to production
In the first week you will:
- Develop, QA, review, and ship a small feature improvement
- Participate in code review for a teammate’s code
- Help a team member with fixing a bug
In the first month you will:
- Work closely with the product team to ship a large feature
- Participate in your first support rotation week and help our support team with escalated issues
- Publish a retrospective on your first large project to share successes & planned improvements for the next project
You love beautiful design and working with others to transform concepts into real-world interfaces that are a joy to use. You love keeping up-to-date with the latest best practices and tools, and are constantly tweaking and improving the way you work.
You’re excited to solve engineering challenges in the most pragmatic way possible, and most importantly, you keep the end user in mind and love getting feedback from customers to help improve our products.
Finally, you can’t wait to join a small team that loves their work as much as you do, affords the opportunity to work on challenging & interesting projects, continuously learn and improve, and constantly ship your work. You’re an excellent writer and can communicate effectively whether drafting up a bug report, chatting in Slack, or editing a wiki page. You know that code is about communication and explaining your thought process clearly goes hand-in-hand.
Our team is fully remote and stays in touch primarily via Slack and weekly check-ins over Zoom. That said, we believe spending time together is important — availability for 1-2 company-paid team trips per year is necessary.
This is a full-time, salaried position, but hours are flexible. We know your work will speak for itself with commits, issues closed, and wiki edits.
After an initial screening, you’ll get an email with a few questions to answer. Following that, you’ll have a few 30 minute phone chats with different people on our team to learn more about you and answer any questions you have about the position and company.
If this goes well, we’ll invite you to join our team and start your 4-week trial. During this period you’ll work full-time as a contractor, or part-time on nights/weekends if you already have a full-time position. This gives you an opportunity to make sure you enjoy the work and the team, and it gives us an opportunity to evaluate your work. We’ll have regular chats each week to share feedback and make sure we’re on the same page. At the end of the 4 weeks, you’ll be offered a permanent position. 🙂
Here are some benefits we're happy to offer to our team members:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive for meeting team and company goals
- 27 days of paid time-off, in addition to 2 company holidays (SkyVerge Day in March, Founders Day in June 😀)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance for US and Canadian residents and their families (reimbursements for comparable care for non-US/Canadian residents)
- 401k/RRSP Retirement plan with 4% company match for US/Canadian residents (contributions to comparable plans for non-US/Canadian residents)
- 8 weeks paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers
- Work flexible hours from anywhere that has a reliable internet connection
- Tools (hardware/software) to help you be productive
- Allowance for professional growth (books, courses, conferences)
- Home office or co-working allowance
- A Kindle to help you keep learning
We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate on any protected class. We believe when we work together as a team of different views, experiences, and ideas, we can build amazing things.
More remote react jobs
Senior Web Frontend (React, Typescript) developer Language Drops
Head of Frontend Engineering The Block
Full Stack Developer (Junior/Mid-level) The Community Company