Polyglot Software Engineer - Learn our stack
This job offer is expired
Findmypast is the technology company behind the online genealogy brand Findmypast and the social history brand The British Newspaper Archive. We have millions of registered users and billions of records that we can surface to them. Engineers at Findmypast directly impact the way people research social and family history.
Working as part of our ProdOps team:
We are hiring junior and experienced software engineers to join our ProdOps Engineering team in London which manages a product stream for small valuable features that fit outside the strategic product roadmap. ProdOps at Findmypast keep BAU (Business As Usual) software engineering work moving at all times and minimise distractions for Product delivery teams.
Our ProdOps team also act as the bridge between our Product delivery and Customer Service teams to calmly triage, diagnose, debug and resolve the incidents. You will help ensure the satisfaction of our users and the business by taking ownership of live site incidents and ensuring that full service is restored as quickly as possible. Consequently, this role will have a tangible impact on user satisfaction.
In the role you will:
- Develop your skills as a polyglot web developer, learning about all aspects of application delivery and support.
- Add new exciting functionality to our portfolio of websites.
- Take ownership of live site incidents (e.g. a bug being reported) and work with other engineers to investigate and fix the problems.
- Take ownership of post-mortem investigations of live site incidents with engineering teams.
- Update and maintain a system to ensure that incidents are tracked, categorised and handled effectively.
- Help create and maintain tooling to automate any and all manual repetitive tasks.
- Maintain contact with our Software Engineering, Customer Support, Marketing, Analytics team and other stakeholders helping them complete their tasks.
- Constantly work towards improving recovery time across our websites.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent communicator
- Excellent hands-on investigative, troubleshooting and problem solving skills including experience in debugging software applications.
- Working experience of writing SQL queries.
- At least 2 years of commercial experience in an engineering role
Things we believe in:
- Continuous improvement and learning – we have a self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship, and engineering guilds
- Engineering practices like pair programming, TDD, continuous integration / deployment, small and regular commits to master
- A lean-agile environment, DevOps culture and flat hierarchies
Please read our tech blog: http://tech.findmypast.com for more insight into our engineering practices and culture.
Benefits include pension, private medical cover, gym discounts, dedicated yearly training budget to use as you see fit, relaxed dress code, informal environment and morale events. We host yearly tech summits where all the engineering team members come together off site, share knowledge and hang out.