Senior Web Developer
Salary in the region of £40,850 - £49,428 (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits
Permanent/ Open Contract
We are looking for a Senior Web Developer to join our Informatics team (https://www.sanger.ac.uk/science/groups/cellular-genetics-informatics). We are part of the Cellular Genetics programme which uses state of the art experimentation and computational tools to understand the biology of cells. Our team develops infrastructure for efficient data storage, access and analysis that supports the programme's research goals.
In this role you will develop and maintain infrastructure and visualization code for the Cellular Genetics programme’s needs. This will include creating user-friendly web portals for the researchers to access their data (both sequencing and imaging data), integrating automated execution of the analysis pipelines from the front end and visualisation of the results in the most convenient way. You will also be involved in working on the web interface for the Human Cell Atlas project https://www.humancellatlas.org/, in collaboration with the European Bioinformatics Institute) and develop web interfaces for specific research projects. Your role will be very collaborative and include a lot of interaction with both research scientists and the software team.
You will have access to Sanger's elite computational resources, including an OpenStack private cloud, an LSF computational cluster and many petabytes of high-speed distributed file systems and object stores.
We support recent graduates or current students in their final year to apply, although it is strongly desirable that you have relevant development experience outside of coursework (e.g. active participation in open source projects or the pursuit of personal coding projects).
- Degree in Computer Science or in a related field (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics)
- Experience in web development with a proven track record in this area (applications should include references to contributed projects and open source repositories)
- Familiarity with single page applications, HTTP semantics, REST APIs and RESTful services (E)
- TDD and continuous integration
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Motivation and attention to detail
- Ability to work as a team player and interact with others effectively
- Data visualisation libraries (Highcharts,D3)
- Good UX and UI design practices
- Previous experience with Scrum and agile processes