Software engineer Frontend Web Developer (W/M)
This job offer is expired
The aim of the Blue Brain Project is to build accurate, biologically detailed, digital reconstructions, and simulations of the rodent brain, and ultimately the human brain. The brain is one of the biggest Big Data problems we have today. Therefore, the Neuroinformatics Software Engineering team recently open sourced the Blue Brain Nexus platform to organize, store and process exceptionally large volumes of data in a semantic way and support usage by a broad number of users.
Going beyond the specific use case of the BBP, Blue Brain Nexus is designed to be agnostic of the data domain it is applied to, making it suitable for semantic data management within the scientific community as well as in many other industries. Blue Brain Nexus is already being used by scientists and researchers all over the world.
You would be joining the Neuroinformatics Software Engineering team, which in charge of designing and developing the future of the Blue Brain Nexus platform, as a Frontend Web Developer (W/M).
If you would like to read more about what we do, we have recently announced the open-sourcing of Blue Brain Nexus (read the EPFL press release) and published an interview on the role of Neuroinformatics at BBP (read the Technology Networks’ interview).
Specific responsibilities include:
- Design and development of user-facing software, such as for data registration, visualization, and semantic search,
- Participate in presentations, training, and technical discussions inside BBP and at conferences and workshops,
- All aspects of modern software development life-cycle: testing, continuous integration, DevOps, documentation and direct user support,
- Participate in the definition of the platform roadmap and specification of the platform services,
- Participate in the recruitment of new talents and onboarding the new team members,
- Implement best-practices for maintainable software development.
Experience and preferred skills:
- Solid HTML and CSS knowledge,
- Experience working with REST APIs,
- Agile software development, unit and integration testing.
Experience in any of the following areas would be a plus:
- Experience in developing data visualization applications (d3.js, three.js, WebGL...),
- Experience in making compelling user experience and UI design,
- DevOps technologies (Docker, OpenShift, Jenkins),
- Semantic web technologies (RDF/OWL, SPARQL, RDF Triple Stores),
- Graph Databases (Property Graphs, RDF Triple Stores),
- Knowledge of other programming languages, notably Python, Bash, and Scala.
Your profile :
- Master degree in computer science or equivalent professional experience,
- At least 3 years’ experience of frontend software development,
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken. French would be a plus.
We offer :
- Opportunity to work on open source software with a growing community of users,
- An internationally visible and rising project in simulation-based research in neuroscience using supercomputers,
- A young, dynamic, exceptionally inter-disciplinary, and international working environment,
- A beautiful working environment, based at Campus Biotech near the lakeside in Geneva,
- Opportunities for skill development through our sharing-oriented team, training and conferences.