Principal Software Engineer - Front End
We are looking for a Principal Front End Engineer to help build great apps and services in the Sainsbury’s Digital product family. A pivotal role within the Digital Identity team, you will contribute to the technical direction for a product that is central to Sainsbury’s Group omni-channel customer strategy. Digital Identity enables customer authentication and profile management across the group.
As a Principal Front End Engineer you will:
- You will work closely with engineers and product owners across our most high traffic platforms and be part of a team that is responsible for mastering our customers credentials and authentication.
What you need to do:
- You will write excellent code while following standard methodologies, for example by taking a test driven and behaviour driven development approach.
- You will be happy to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team and instil high standards by mentoring junior developers.
- You will work closely with your peers and contribute to the execution of our Digital & Technology strategy.
- By taking the lead in designing systems and applications you will bridge the gap and between development and architecture.
What you need to know:
- A solid understanding of CSS and responsive design is important as Sainsbury’s take a mobile-first approach to web development.
- Testing plays a crucial role in our products and so writing automated tests with tools like Mocha & Nightwatch will be second nature to you.
What is good to know:
- Some understanding with the principles of dev-ops will be useful as well an understanding of the role which Continuous Delivery plays in an agile development environment.
- Sainsbury's have a cloud-first policy, some understanding of the cloud will be advantageous too.
- Understanding of modern browsers & HTML 5
- Understanding of different programming paradigms, for example prototypal OOP and functional
- Responsive web design & principles of single page applications
- CSS pre-processors such as LESS and SASS
- Unit testing, integration testing, E2E testing and automation using CI and CD
- Understanding of RESTful APIs
- Expertise of Information Security and data protection concerns
- Good understanding of agile principles
- Some familiarity of server-side development
- Some familiarity with cloud computing
- Issue tracking, documentation and source control tools such as Jira, Confluence and GitHub
What we would like you to show:
- An ability to communicate with and influence those around you, using a wide range of techniques. You will push the boundaries to solve problems which have a direct impact on the business. An analytical approach to solving problems is a vital behaviour, as is the ability to think critically and evaluate the best solutions to a given problems.
- An aptitude to learn, being self-critical and actively seeking feedback from your peers. Contribution to the wider community in your area of expertise, sharing your knowledge and experience and learning from others.
- We are part of a great team at Sainsbury's and we want to hire people who can build on our collective strengths to deliver increased value for the business.