Front End Developer
This job offer is expired
The Economist is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our content through a range of formats, from the weekly international print editions to podcasts, videos and web and app experiences.
More than a million subscribers rely on The Economist to make sense of what’s happening around the world. We aim to expand our circulation and subscriptions business by transforming the way we distribute our journalism digitally. To that end, we’re accelerating the development of our flagship consumer products (Economist.com and apps) and investing in our product and engineering teams.
We’re looking for an ambitious and collaborative senior front-end developer to help build a design system that will be scaled across multiple products. In this role, you will be responsible for making architectural decisions, working closely with the web development team to deliver high-quality code and ensuring that our digital presence adheres to world-class design standards. You will be working in the heart of London at our offices in Embankment overlooking the Thames.
How you will contribute:
- Understand how all elements of system software ecosystem works together and develop approaches that fit the overall strategy
- Create delightful interactions and animations to enhance the user interface
- Work to our guidelines and best practices but bring your own expertise to shape and improve our processes
- Work on Grids and Flexbox but know when not to use them
- Care a ton about accessibility
The ideal skills for this role are:
- Experience needed to produce excellent quality front-end code
- Expert knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Eagerness to collaborate with designers and developers
- An adherence to best practices in accessibility, UX, usability and FE development
- Experience of testing and debugging
- Understanding of when and where to use pre- and post-processors
- Ability to integrate with server-side (knowledge of React or similar is ideal)
- Great communication skills, comfortable presenting to stakeholders, experienced working in a team