This job offer is expired
The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of 16,000 people, including over 10,000 students and 3,500 researchers from 120 different countries.
The EPFL Blue Brain Project (BBP), situated on the Campus Biotech in Geneva, Switzerland, applies advanced neuroinformatics, data analytics, high-performance computing and simulation-based approaches to the challenge of understanding the structure and function of the mammalian brain in health and disease. The BBP provides the community with regular releases of data, models and tools to accelerate neuroscience discovery and clinical translation through open science and global collaboration.
The aim of the Blue Brain Project is to build accurate, biologically detailed, digital reconstructions, and simulations of the rodent brain, and ultimately the human brain. In order to be able to inspect, explore and validate our models, scientific visualization plays a very important role. The capability to visualize atlas-based data, explore models, and image our simulations at scale and with interactivity represents the equivalent of a microscope or telescope in a regular physical environment. In a project where the majority of our science is happening within the computer, scientific visualization is our window thereto.
You would be joining the Scientific Visualization section of the Blue Brain Project, which is in charge of developing different visualization platforms that give scientists the capability to create visual contents of their brain reconstructions and simulations. As a team member, you will be working close to scientific visualization researchers, rendering specialists, software engineers and scientific media designersMain duties and responsibilities include :
- Participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of a modern web interface for Brayns. Brayns is our open source scalable scientific visualization framework for brain models based on ray tracing. It features high fidelity, large-scale, interactivity, and stereoscopic rendering capabilities.
- Innovate in user interfaces that makes interactive scientific visualization accessible to researchers in the web browser and in immersive environments
- Interact with scientific and engineering teams for visualization use cases, requirements and specifications
Essential skills and experience required:
- Good familiarity with UNIX/Linux operating systems
- Experience with version control and workflows with Git
- Solid HTML and CSS 3 knowledge
- Experience with React library
- Strong interest in computer graphics
- Good knowledge of asynchronous programming
- Experience with scientific visualization or Python is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or similar field
- Experience with driving the design and maintenance of complex software projects
- Comfortable with large, existing codebases
- Good team player and fluent English in speech and writing
- A world-recognized leader in simulation-based research in neuroscience
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, international and collaborative working environment committed to benefitting the global community
- A modern working environment, based at the Biotech Campus in Geneva Sécheron